Sunday, March 1, 2009

Whats in the place?

Raju Supari's,was the term coined for all of us who joined MACT-REC Bhopal from Rajasthan. That was the first time I realised that an association to a place defines the herd you have to move around, atleast in the ragging period. I asked myself, what makes me a raju when I cant even speak a word of Marwari or Mewari. Well ,with due deliberation, I could find atleast one attribute which relates me to the soil of rajasthan, and this was my height. So this 'Oonth' can proudly claim to be a native of Udaipur, when all my life I never even bothered to visit the city palace or any other place which defines it as one of the main tourist attractions on Indian map.
I have also spent 8 years of my life in Maharasthra, and thus I could have well earned a Matthu domicile till one day Mr Raj asked me to recite the recipe of Bhakar wadi in Marathi.
So I migrated to Hyderabad and I soon felt at home thanks to all the fact that everyone around were as ignorant in Hindi Vyakaran, as I was. Besides this place had common slangs with Bhopal or Nagpur, my nurseries where I enriched my vocabulary.So whenever needed, I exchanged the 'compliments' with the necessary goodwill attached:-)
However, even after spending three years here, I still cant read the bus numbers or stand the sight of Mahesh Babu/ Chiru on the hoardings.
Something has stuck me now and I could now relate to one more thing from MY LAND. Its the free spirit of the Rajasthani tribe called 'Banjaras' .
Besides I have realised that what's in the place, after all its just a Noun;-)

1 comment:

  1. There is always something you carry of the place you come from. Most of it is implicitly conveyed, and thats why you cannot get rid of it...(no matter how much of accent you can fake :-)). and probably this makes the human study and interaction so enriching and enjoyable for some.

    Well written saQ

    ReplyDelete